Sunday, January 27, 2013

January in Review



My weekday workout add 1 interval for the weekend.



Well this was the first Saturday since the beginning of the year that I had to get on the trainer because of weather.  So I set myself up on the trainer and got myself ready for a session of 3 by 21minute intervals with 30 second accelerations every 3 minutes.  This is the first time I’ve actually done 3 of these types of intervals but I had been doing these intervals on Wednesdays on this training schedule that I am on right now.  I got through my warmup and fast cadences intervals before I got into the real ones today.  The way these 21min intervals work is that you start with your steady watts and then every 3mins you accelerate for 30sec.  For me I have had to figure out the right gearing for the steady part and slam it into the big ring for the accelerations.  Once I figured that out when I came off of the interval and out of the big ring I was able to with not too much down time in my watts to get back to my steady pedaling.  I have a paper on my stem to tell me during the 21 min interval when to accelerate cause by the middle I need to be reminded of 3 times tables.  I got through my first and second really well.  I really had to talk myself through my last one.  Kept on telling myself to keep the steadies steady and go harder on the accelerations because this is the last one.   Just before the second last acceleration I put out my hand for a high five kind of grab the hand of my husband who was doing a different workout next to me on his trainer.  This so gave me strength to get me through the last few efforts I had to do and then it was done.  I really couldn’t believe I got through this session.  I was really elated and impressed with myself on this.

This was a great session to end the month of January.  January has been a pretty good month all starting with the Ontario Cup Series and Provincial race calendar coming out.  Being able to then start planning out the season of races or rather a preliminary calendar noting when the big races are and the stage races that I am planning on doing are this year.  January also means I get to see what my new team kit is going to look like.  The best part is Mike who is the team Novofit’s manager hasn’t really changed the kit so I’ll still be wearing blue and light blue argyle.  Man I love these kits. Mike is the founder of the team that I raced on last year and will be racing for the second year.  The team or rather squad is made up of both a master men squad and master women squad.  The squad originally started as a team of friends that came together as a team in 2011 and just the men side.  Last year was the first year for the women side to come together.

January gave us many weekends that we could ride outside in or at least get one ride in that weekend.  The most memorable weekend in this month has to be when we got 2 warmish days in a row.  The best part of this weekend was when a friend of mine, Annie, decided it was warm enough to have bare legs.  I kept on asking her if she was warm enough and she was.  This weekend also brought out another friend, Jany, on our Saturday ride.  It had been a long time coming to see Jany out in a group ride.  Such a wonderful weekend was had by all I believe.

Last weekend was the first weekend that I did a group ride and stair workout in the same weekend.  This proved to be very interesting to say the least.  It was only a group of 4 this day and it was very windy so it was decided as a group to head out and ride up and down the escarpment to stay somewhat out of the wind which was really master minded by Mandy.  This was such a great idea while very trying but an excellent way to spend almost 3hrs and still be so close to home.  On the Sunday Scully and I took to the stairs for 90mins.  This effort really felt like a 40k time trial it was all about pacing for me to get through this exercise.  It was a very cold and windy day where I was thankful for being on the stairs and not being blown over in the gusty cold wind.
 
As always for me the people make the workouts go better and go by faster and I have to thank everybody for being there and some that aren’t with me in person you so help me so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment